Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Pink Birthday

Miss C turned 3 at the end of May. Looking back, this past year has been HARD. The. Entire. Year. Almost every day has been about being consistent with discipline and not giving in to tantrums. Being pregnant for 9 months of it, and taking care of a newborn for the other 3 months didn't help. Poor Miss C. An entire year with an exhausted, crazy hormonal, growing larger-by-the-day mama must have been really hard. She wanted a pink birthday, so I was determined to give her just that and really make the day about her.

I don't do birthday parties every year. We did a big party for her first birthday, Which was great, but not every year. I will do birthday parties in the future. Maybe for the other big milestone birthdays. Anyway, in liu of a party we always do dinner with the family: Grandmas and Grandpas and Uncle Erik. Anyone else out there not do birthday parties every year? Any good ideas for how often to have one and how many kids to invite, etc?

I found as much pink as I possibly could. Pink plates and napkins, a pink tablecloth, pink flowers, a pink balloon, Rose Wine (for the adults) and of course, a pink cake!
I thought that red and pink would look neat-o together, so I made a red velvet cake with pink fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting. This is my go-to frosting. It is easy to make, yummy, and easy to decorate with. I modify the recipe a bit and only put in 4 cups of confectioner's sugar. It is way too sweet with all 6 cups. It was so yummy! Miss C ate all of her piece very carefully as if she didn't want to waste a single crumb. So sweet!
 
Despite this year being so hard, I am always thankful for my talkative, silly, busy, sweet Miss C! Happy third birthday, Miss C! Thanks for making me a mama!